March 25, 2015
The EIU Department of Communication Studies will host its annual Communication Day on Wednesday, April 22. This year will focus on broadening communication skills and career preparation.
The annual event seeks to illustrate the importance of communication in students’ academic, personal, and professional lives.
Speakers and panels at the event will showcase the intellectual, creative, and professional activities of the undergraduate and graduate students across every concentration and option area.
The event will be held in the Martin Luther King Jr. Union from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There is no charge to attend the event and all students of all majors are welcome.
Complete details about Communication Day will be posted on the department’s official page: http://www.eiu.edu/commstudies/commday.php
Dr. Jimmie Manning delivers the keynote for the 2014 Communication Day to a capacity audience.
October 17, 2014
Current and recently graduated EIU students won six first place awards Friday in the Illinois Broadcasters Association’s Student Silver Dome Awards Contest, a statewide contest for college broadcasters.
First place awards went to 2014 graduate Kyle Fisher (Best TV Longform Program), 2014 graduate Keith Sutterfield (Best TV Commercial), Senior Brad Kupiec (Best Radio Sports Play-by-Play), and to the WEIU-TV News Watch staff for Best TV Newscast.
First place awards also went to Junior Jason Tague (Best Radio Promotion) and Junior Kelsey Zancha (Best Sales Presentation). Jason and Kelsey received their awards for work done while they were students at Lake Land College last year.
Keith Sutterfield also took 2nd place in the TV Longform Program category, and senior Anna Richardson received 3rd place for Best On-Air Radio Personality.
The students received their awards in October at the Illinois Broadcasters Association’s annual IBA-U Conference in Chicago.
October 17, 2014
The Eastern Illinois University Speech Team traveled to Indianapolis, IN for two tournaments and had a very strong showing at the first tournaments of the 2014-2015 competition season.
On Saturday, September 19th, the team competed at the Audrey Cunningham Forensics 500. Marques Brown, a junior Corporate Communication major from Bloomington, IL, placed third in Poetry Interpretation, fifth in Dramatic Interpretation, and third in Duo Interpretation with senior Psychology major Bethany Oxford, from Norris, IL. Sophomore Political Science major Austin Mejdrich from Charleston, IL, placed second in Impromptu Speaking, and sixth in Informative Speaking.
On Sunday, September 20, at Butler University’s This Day in History Tournament, the team took third place in team sweepstakes, with every member of the team bringing home at least one award. Marques Brown was the Tournament Champion in Dramatic Interpretation. Marques Brown and Bethany Oxford placed second in Improvisational Duo. Bethany Oxford placed second in Prose Interpretation. Austin Mejdrich placed second in Impromptu Speaking, second in Informative Speaking, and second in Editorial Impromptu. Sophomore Tyler Kahanec, a Pre-Business Management Information Systems major from Spring Grove, IL, placed second in Dramatic Interpretation.
June 23, 2014
EIU Communication Studies graduates took home plenty of hardware at the Illinois Broadcasters Association Silver Dome Awards Wednesday night (June 18) in Champaign. The Silver Dome contest honors the top radio and television broadcasters in the state. EIU alumni won first place in four categories, and were finalists in three others.
Justin Ritz of WCSJ-FM in Morris won first place in two Small Market Radio categories: Best Radio News Reporter and Best Radio Spot News Coverage.
Michael Kiser of WDWS-FM in Champaign took first place in the Medium Market Radio category for Best Radio Series or Documentary. Michael was also a finalist for Best Radio News Reporter and Best Radio Spot News Coverage.
Orion Buckingham of WLRW-FM in Champaign was a finalist in Medium Market Radio for Best Non-Humorous Commercial.
Travis Probst of WCIA-TV in Champaign won first place in Medium Market TV for Best Light Feature, and was a finalist for Best Local Program, Series, or Documentary.
Also, EIU Associate Professor Mike Bradd won first place for Best Sports Play-by-Play in Small Market Radio for his broadcasts of EIU Basketball on WEIU-FM.
May 29, 2014
Congratulations to E.I.U. Communication Studies major Kallie Middleton of Casey, who’s the winner of a national scholarship for students interested in radio broadcasting. Kallie is the recipient of a $10,000 scholarship presented by the international music licensing company SESAC through the International Broadcasters IdeaBank, which is an organization of commercial radio broadcasting owners and managers.
Kallie will graduate from Eastern in May 2015 with a Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies. She was nominated for the scholarship through her work at Cromwell Radio Group in Mattoon. Kallie currently can be heard on the Night Party on 104.3 the Party and 101.3 WMCI. Kallie is also a teacher’s aide in the Radio and TV Department at Lake Land College. She gives her time to Special Olympics of Illinois, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Casey Westside Church of Christ.
Kallie is pictured above with Bayard “Bud” Walters, owner of the Cromwell Radio Group, and Dr. Blair Lord, Provost of Eastern Illinois University.
May 13, 2014
Three faculty members in the E. I. U. Department of Communication are retiring at the end of the 2013-14 academic year:
- Dr. Melanie Mills joined the Eastern faculty in 1985, teaching interpersonal and organizational communication classes as well as conducting research centered around occupational culture studies and work identities. In 2013, she received the Distinguished Faculty Award from the E.I.U. Faculty Senate. Dr. Mills intends to continue living in Charleston, where she is involved in a number of community service activities.
- Dr. Shirley Bell came to Eastern in 1995 and has taught numerous courses in interpersonal communication and public speaking, while conducting research on conversational analysis. She received awards for outstanding teaching on three occasions. Dr. Bell plans to continue living in Mattoon.
- Jim Coleman began teaching at Eastern in 2001 and joined the Department of Communication Studies in 2003. He has taught courses in Applied Communication, Public Speaking, and led Study Abroad trips to Ireland. He plans to continue living in Charleston and pursue his hobby of sailing.
May 13, 2014
WEIU-TV News Watch wrapped up the 2013-14 academic year by winning its 8th student Emmy award. WEIU won the 2014 Mid-America Regional Emmy Award for Best College TV Newscast in Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas. The award will be presented on September 27th in Kansas City.
May 7, 2014
The winners have been announced in the 2014 Doug Bock Undergraduate Research Contest. It’s a research paper writing competition held each spring for students who were enrolled in Communication Research (CMN 2020) during the past academic year. This year’s winners are:
- 1st place: Michael Moy, “It Can Wait: Preventing Texting and Driving” (Dr. Rodney Marshall, instructor)
- 2nd Place: Corrine Ryan, “Re-acclimation After Study Abroad” (Dr. Angela Jacobs, instructor)
- 3rd Place: Rosa Delaney, “Media Ecology and the Influence of New and Traditional Media” (Dr. Angela Jacobs, instructor)
The contest is named in honor of Dr. Doug Bock, who was chairman of the department from 1983 to 2001. There are monetary awards to the top three finishers.
May 5, 2014
Eastern’s Communication Studies Department held its 2013-14 Multimedia Contest Screening Monday evening (May 5th). This year’s contest featured over 80 entries in six categories. Seniors Kyle Fisher and Keith Sutterfield each claimed first place in two categories. Here are the place winners in each category, along with links to their entries:
Video – PSA / Commercial:
- Kyle Fisher, Senior from Clifton (Central HS), Lumbering Behemoth Construction & Design
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, Bike & Hike 30 Second TV Spot
- Tyler Yocum, Senior from Effingham, Sunny Delight Commercial
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, Portfolio Site
- Tyler Yocum, Senior from Effingham, Scarlet Creative Website
- Kallie Middleton, Junior from Casey (Casey-Westfield HS), Back on the Rack
- Jesse Guinn, Junior from New Castle, IN (Chrysler HS), Sgt. Timothy Owens Vigil
- Margaret Langevin, Senior from Chicago (Marist HS), Heroin Problem in East Central Illinois
- Dion McNeal, Junior from Park Forest (Naperville North HS), CHS Football Home Opener
Video – Documentary:
- Kyle Fisher, Senior from Clifton (Central HS), A Unique Path to EIU
- Chris Boswell, Senior from Naperville (North HS), Soccer Life: The Story Behind The Journey
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, EIU360: Brush With Greatness
- Breeahnah Babers, Senior from Castaic, CA, James Calderon
- Michael Moy, Junior from Northbrook (Glenbrook North), A Challenging Deploy
Video – Creative:
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, Sixty Thousand
- Breeahnah Babers, Senior from Castaic, CA, StuDying
- (Tie) Adam Austin, Junior from Champaign (Centennial HS), Picture Perfect, & Kyle Fisher, Senior from Clifton (Central HS), Taken
Radio – PSA / Commercial
- Jessi Meyer, Junior from Wood Dale (Fenton HS), Midas Auto Service Spot
- Anna Richardson, Junior from Bourbonnais (Bradley-Bourbonnais HS), Midas Auto Spot
- D’ara Townsend, Sophomore from St. Louis (Belleville East HS), Midas Commercial
May 5, 2014
The E.I.U. Department of Communication Studies honored its 2014 Scholarship and Award winners on Sunday (May 4th). Award winners for 2014 are:
- Outstanding Senior: Anna Percival
- Outstanding Junior: Kelli Halfman
- Inspired Achievement Award: Malcolm Allen
- Outstanding Graduate Students: Amanda Feder and Emily Vajjala
Scholarship recipients are:
- Ralph McGinnis Scholarship: Mallory Winkeler
- J. Glen Ross Scholarship: Emma Bolinger
- Carol Manhart Scholarship: Kaitlin Corzine
- Larry & Christine Helsel Scholarship: Joryn-Alyssa Zeek-Lee
- Betty Lou Balasi Scholarship: Kelly Ann Hennessy
- Raymond and Carolyn Miller-Fischer Scholarship: Hannah Yarnell
- Kenneth Hadwiger Undergraduate Scholarship: Drew Borzi
- Kenneth Hadwiger Graduate Scholarship: Anna Percival
- Jon J. Hopkins Scholarship: Kelly Ann Hennessy
- Jack L. Payan Scholarships: Wade Dundee & Shelby Sandefer
- Illinois Broadcasters Association Scholarship: Margaret Langevin