June 23, 2014
EIU Communication Studies graduates took home plenty of hardware at the Illinois Broadcasters Association Silver Dome Awards Wednesday night (June 18) in Champaign. The Silver Dome contest honors the top radio and television broadcasters in the state. EIU alumni won first place in four categories, and were finalists in three others.
Justin Ritz of WCSJ-FM in Morris won first place in two Small Market Radio categories: Best Radio News Reporter and Best Radio Spot News Coverage.
Michael Kiser of WDWS-FM in Champaign took first place in the Medium Market Radio category for Best Radio Series or Documentary. Michael was also a finalist for Best Radio News Reporter and Best Radio Spot News Coverage.
Orion Buckingham of WLRW-FM in Champaign was a finalist in Medium Market Radio for Best Non-Humorous Commercial.
Travis Probst of WCIA-TV in Champaign won first place in Medium Market TV for Best Light Feature, and was a finalist for Best Local Program, Series, or Documentary.
Also, EIU Associate Professor Mike Bradd won first place for Best Sports Play-by-Play in Small Market Radio for his broadcasts of EIU Basketball on WEIU-FM.
May 29, 2014
Congratulations to E.I.U. Communication Studies major Kallie Middleton of Casey, who’s the winner of a national scholarship for students interested in radio broadcasting. Kallie is the recipient of a $10,000 scholarship presented by the international music licensing company SESAC through the International Broadcasters IdeaBank, which is an organization of commercial radio broadcasting owners and managers.
Kallie will graduate from Eastern in May 2015 with a Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies. She was nominated for the scholarship through her work at Cromwell Radio Group in Mattoon. Kallie currently can be heard on the Night Party on 104.3 the Party and 101.3 WMCI. Kallie is also a teacher’s aide in the Radio and TV Department at Lake Land College. She gives her time to Special Olympics of Illinois, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Casey Westside Church of Christ.
Kallie is pictured above with Bayard “Bud” Walters, owner of the Cromwell Radio Group, and Dr. Blair Lord, Provost of Eastern Illinois University.
May 13, 2014
Three faculty members in the E. I. U. Department of Communication are retiring at the end of the 2013-14 academic year:
- Dr. Melanie Mills joined the Eastern faculty in 1985, teaching interpersonal and organizational communication classes as well as conducting research centered around occupational culture studies and work identities. In 2013, she received the Distinguished Faculty Award from the E.I.U. Faculty Senate. Dr. Mills intends to continue living in Charleston, where she is involved in a number of community service activities.
- Dr. Shirley Bell came to Eastern in 1995 and has taught numerous courses in interpersonal communication and public speaking, while conducting research on conversational analysis. She received awards for outstanding teaching on three occasions. Dr. Bell plans to continue living in Mattoon.
- Jim Coleman began teaching at Eastern in 2001 and joined the Department of Communication Studies in 2003. He has taught courses in Applied Communication, Public Speaking, and led Study Abroad trips to Ireland. He plans to continue living in Charleston and pursue his hobby of sailing.
May 13, 2014
WEIU-TV News Watch wrapped up the 2013-14 academic year by winning its 8th student Emmy award. WEIU won the 2014 Mid-America Regional Emmy Award for Best College TV Newscast in Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas. The award will be presented on September 27th in Kansas City.
May 7, 2014
The winners have been announced in the 2014 Doug Bock Undergraduate Research Contest. It’s a research paper writing competition held each spring for students who were enrolled in Communication Research (CMN 2020) during the past academic year. This year’s winners are:
- 1st place: Michael Moy, “It Can Wait: Preventing Texting and Driving” (Dr. Rodney Marshall, instructor)
- 2nd Place: Corrine Ryan, “Re-acclimation After Study Abroad” (Dr. Angela Jacobs, instructor)
- 3rd Place: Rosa Delaney, “Media Ecology and the Influence of New and Traditional Media” (Dr. Angela Jacobs, instructor)
The contest is named in honor of Dr. Doug Bock, who was chairman of the department from 1983 to 2001. There are monetary awards to the top three finishers.
May 5, 2014
Eastern’s Communication Studies Department held its 2013-14 Multimedia Contest Screening Monday evening (May 5th). This year’s contest featured over 80 entries in six categories. Seniors Kyle Fisher and Keith Sutterfield each claimed first place in two categories. Here are the place winners in each category, along with links to their entries:
Video – PSA / Commercial:
- Kyle Fisher, Senior from Clifton (Central HS), Lumbering Behemoth Construction & Design
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, Bike & Hike 30 Second TV Spot
- Tyler Yocum, Senior from Effingham, Sunny Delight Commercial
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, Portfolio Site
- Tyler Yocum, Senior from Effingham, Scarlet Creative Website
- Kallie Middleton, Junior from Casey (Casey-Westfield HS), Back on the Rack
- Jesse Guinn, Junior from New Castle, IN (Chrysler HS), Sgt. Timothy Owens Vigil
- Margaret Langevin, Senior from Chicago (Marist HS), Heroin Problem in East Central Illinois
- Dion McNeal, Junior from Park Forest (Naperville North HS), CHS Football Home Opener
Video – Documentary:
- Kyle Fisher, Senior from Clifton (Central HS), A Unique Path to EIU
- Chris Boswell, Senior from Naperville (North HS), Soccer Life: The Story Behind The Journey
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, EIU360: Brush With Greatness
- Breeahnah Babers, Senior from Castaic, CA, James Calderon
- Michael Moy, Junior from Northbrook (Glenbrook North), A Challenging Deploy
Video – Creative:
- Keith Sutterfield, Senior from Effingham, Sixty Thousand
- Breeahnah Babers, Senior from Castaic, CA, StuDying
- (Tie) Adam Austin, Junior from Champaign (Centennial HS), Picture Perfect, & Kyle Fisher, Senior from Clifton (Central HS), Taken
Radio – PSA / Commercial
- Jessi Meyer, Junior from Wood Dale (Fenton HS), Midas Auto Service Spot
- Anna Richardson, Junior from Bourbonnais (Bradley-Bourbonnais HS), Midas Auto Spot
- D’ara Townsend, Sophomore from St. Louis (Belleville East HS), Midas Commercial
May 5, 2014
The E.I.U. Department of Communication Studies honored its 2014 Scholarship and Award winners on Sunday (May 4th). Award winners for 2014 are:
- Outstanding Senior: Anna Percival
- Outstanding Junior: Kelli Halfman
- Inspired Achievement Award: Malcolm Allen
- Outstanding Graduate Students: Amanda Feder and Emily Vajjala
Scholarship recipients are:
- Ralph McGinnis Scholarship: Mallory Winkeler
- J. Glen Ross Scholarship: Emma Bolinger
- Carol Manhart Scholarship: Kaitlin Corzine
- Larry & Christine Helsel Scholarship: Joryn-Alyssa Zeek-Lee
- Betty Lou Balasi Scholarship: Kelly Ann Hennessy
- Raymond and Carolyn Miller-Fischer Scholarship: Hannah Yarnell
- Kenneth Hadwiger Undergraduate Scholarship: Drew Borzi
- Kenneth Hadwiger Graduate Scholarship: Anna Percival
- Jon J. Hopkins Scholarship: Kelly Ann Hennessy
- Jack L. Payan Scholarships: Wade Dundee & Shelby Sandefer
- Illinois Broadcasters Association Scholarship: Margaret Langevin
April 24, 2014
Keynote speaker Dr. Jimmie Manning, Associate Professor of Communication at Northern Illinois University. Click on the photo to see the entire gallery.
April 24, 2014
Here’s a gallery of photos from the 2014 Broadcast Industry Fair, held at Eastern on March 26, 2014. Click on the photo to see the entire gallery.
April 15, 2014
Good luck to Eastern Illinois University’s Austin Mejdrich, who will compete in the National Forensics Association National Tournament. Competition begins Friday at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Austin will compete in both Impromptu Speaking and After Dinner Speaking. Eastern’s Bethany Oxford also qualified for the national tournament, but will not be making the trip to compete.